Several weeks ago, my job was relocated to New Jersey. Without me. Unemployment does not suit me, for many reasons, but I know that my God is the God who provides.
Today, feeling like my conversations lately with God are mostly about me asking for His help, I asked for some guidance. Immediately, He gave me the Lord’s Prayer. As I started praying through it, I realized, though I had heard it and had spoken it a zillion times, I was finding it the perfect prayer for my current trial.
Not only did I think about what the prayer means, I made a quick tag book of it, to remind me when I need reminding.
Here is what you need for a tag book like this:
- 5 white paper tags, mine are 5 1/4″ x 2 5/8″
- 3 watercolor pencils, colors of your choice. I used lime green, teal, and blue
- a couple baby wipes (you don’t need great ones with baby oil, just get them at the dollar store), or a damp sponge
- 12″ piece of ribbon
- fine point black permanent marker
- pencil and white eraser
Here is what you do:
1. Color in one side of the tag, using the watercolor pencils. Perfection is not needed! Do all 5 tags.
2. Rub the color with a baby wipe or damp sponge. How cool is that? This technique makes great backgrounds and is so easy. Do all 5 tags.
3. Using the marker, write or print a verse on each tag, 9-13. If it helps, write the verse in pencil before tracing with the marker. Do all 5 tags.
4. String the ribbon through all 5 holes, and knot above the tags.
The backs of the tags are blank. On them, you can write specific prayers or notes that you want to remember.
My thoughts on this prayer and how it relates to me, and how it is perfect for my current situation:
- I am praying to my Father, who lovingly and personally, listens to my prayers. Even when I ask for a job every single day.
- He surpasses everything on earth. Giving me a job is not hard for him.
- A study of the word “hallowed” (hagiazo), tells us the name of God is the opposite of common. It is made holy. His name is set apart.
- May His perfect will be done here on earth and in my life, as it is done in Heaven. That is exactly what I want… His perfect will, not my imperfect will.
- I must trust Him every day.
- I will ask Him to give me what I need for today, just like He gave the Israelites manna in the wilderness each day. I don’t need to have today, what I will need tomorrow. And I will trust Him to provide each day, in His perfect timing. My new job will come on the day of His planning.
- I will be growing my faith in His provision, and not worrying. He is my sustainer and provider.
- Father, help me not to be selfish, to remember that what You forgive of mine is greater than anything You ask me to forgive of others.
- A word study of the word “temptation” (peirasmos) shows us Jesus was talking about a trial with a beneficial purpose or effect, a trial from God. That is exactly where I am right now.
- I need to depend on God for deliverance from the evil one and his lies. It is not true that nobody wants to hire me, that I will never find a job that is right for me, that I am worthless.
Out of frustration, I found comfort in the Lord’s Prayer today. I hope you do too. Does the Lord’s Prayer fit your current situation?
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12,